Each state has the ability to customize their WIC packages to a certain extent. A mom in California recently gave me the California WIC breastfeeding mom package details, as well as the exclusively breastfed 6-12 month baby package, so I wanted to pass that info on to all of you.
I had never heard of a baby food package that specifically included fresh bananas (rather than simply allowing the participant to choose bananas at their discretion). I think it’s a great idea. A fresh banana is a great fruit for a 6-12 month old, and is super easy to mash with a fork. I’m all for buying the actual fruits and veggies and skipping the middle man (Nestle/Gerber) when you can! Here’s the food list this WIC mom in CA gave me.
WIC Exclusively Breastfeeding Mom Package in California:
- 30 ounces of canned fish salmon or tuna
- 5 gallons and 1 quart of milk
- (2) 16 ounces and cheese
- 2 dozen eggs
- 16 0z. whole grains
- 36 0z. breakfast cereal
- 1 lb. beans, peas for lentil
- One additional pound of dried beans, peas or lentils, or 16 to 18 oz. peanut butter
- 64 ounces of juice
- $10 worth of fruits or vegetables (fresh or frozen). Participant may pay the amount over $10
She also got a food package for her infant over 6 months old. Here is that list.
WIC Breastfeeding Infant Package in California:
- (31) 2.5 oz. infant meats
- (69) 3.5 oz. infant fruit and vegetables
- (3) 8 oz. packages of infant cereal
- 4 fresh bananas
That’s a lot of baby food!
Thanks for sharing, California Mommy! Every state offers a slightly different package, so if you would like to share what your food package looks like and where you are from, please contact me and we’ll get it posted for others to see. I could see how this could greatly help those in your state seeking out this information!